Green Living: Go Green
Install compact florescent bulbs throughout your home to reduce your electric bill for lighting by up to 40%. LED bulbs can save you even more.
- Install a water saving showerhead, which can cut water usage by up to 50%.
- Dual flush kits for the toilet are very easy to install and can help you save an average of 10,000 gallons of water when using the system for liquid flushes only.
Heating & Cooling
- Using a programmable thermostat can reduce energy consumption for heating and cooling by up to 20%.
- Installing and using ceiling fans in your home can help lower energy costs by keeping the rooms in your home at a more consistent temperature.
- Eliminating drafts in your home is the single best way to stay comfortable in both winter and summer and lower energy costs. Check caulking around windows and doors on the exterior and add weather-stripping where drafts are present on the interior.
- Add insulation to your attic to improve the overall energy efficiency of your home.
Use only paints that do not have any VOCs to improve the indoor air quality of your home.
Calendar for Maintaining Your New Home
- Every 3 Months
- Every 6 Months
- Once a Year
- Throughout the Year
Maintaining Your New Home
Every 3 Months
Replace furnace filters every 3 months.
Every 6 Months
- Clean dryer vents twice a year.
- Scrub the inside of the kitchen disposal with toilet brush.
Once a Year
- Drain the water heater.
- Have your furnace or boiler professionally serviced.
- Conduct a yearly exterior inspection of your home to check for loose shingles, broken siding, loose caulking and chipped paint.
- Clean coils of your refrigerator and around your A/C unit in the spring to improve efficiency.
- Pressure wash walkways, driveways, porches and decking in the spring to start the warm weather season nice and clean.
Throughout the Year
Create a 4-step lawn program to weed and feed your lawn all year long.