ELEVATE YOUR STYLE WITH CEILING COLOR
By Julie Richard, Ace’s Design Expert
Ceilings are often a missed opportunity when it comes to updating a room. So, remember to consider your “fifth plane.” Here are some tips and tricks for transforming your ceilings by adding a touch of color.
- Calming look – Paint the ceiling two shades darker than the color you use on the wall in the room. This will create a sophisticated, monochromatic environment.
- Unique look – Try color reflection techniques by painting the walls of your space a creamy white color like Clark+Kensington® Finer Things 5012. To inject the color into the room, paint the ceiling a bright color such as Clark+Kensington Bella Luna 1046 in a high gloss finish. Not only will this look amazing, but the ceiling color will reflect onto the walls differently throughout the day for a unique effect. The painted white walls often appear to be a paler version of the ceiling color.
- Nautical look – Paint the walls in a neutral color such as Clark+Kensington Inspire Awe 3058 and the ceilings in a deeper matte blue like Clark+Kensington Saphire 1018. Matte ceilings tend to look rich and impactful in deeper colors.
Adding patterns and graphics to ceilings are great ways to create a whimsical and unexpected look to a room. The design possibilities are endless. Here are a few ideas:
- Stripes – Try painting horizontal stripes along the ceiling in two different colors, using two different finishes. Matte and gloss combinations look great together. Map out the design with painter’s tape first. This can be a little tricky, but once you get the hang of it the design process will move faster.
- Tent effect – You can create a tented effect with stripes too. Map out stripes that are narrow at the center and wider at the edges of the ceiling. This design concept is perfect for any children’s room.
- Extend the wall design onto the ceiling – If you have a graphic pattern on your walls, continue it upward to the ceiling, even potentially covering the entire ceiling. This blurs the lines between the walls and the ceiling, and can make a room appear larger.
- Chevron – This pattern has been seen on everything from pillows to rugs to upholstery. What about trying this fun print painted on ceilings?
- Stenciled pattern – If you’re feeling really creative and ready for a design challenge, try a design stencil to create small, intricate designs that look gorgeous. Try tackling a project like this in a smaller space such as a powder room.
Whichever route you choose, just remember the biggest impact you can make to a room could be right above your head. Happy painting!
Clark+Kensington® paint+primer in one is available exclusively at Ace Hardware. Our easy-to-live-with, designer colors harmonize perfectly and let you mix and match with confidence.
Posted: Aug. 9, 2012 in Simply Stated, a blog from Real Simple®
REAL SIMPLE is a trademark of Time Inc., registered in the U.S and other countries.