Landscape cloth and weed control fabrics work to protect your hardscape or garden while improving its aesthetic. Reduce pesky weeds, deter unwanted critters and preserve your garden with our selection of durable and affordable landscape fabrics at Ace.
Weed Control Fabric and Landscape Cloth
Landscaping fabrics are constructed from woven fibers manufactured into a cloth you can lay down over the soil in a garden or another landscape area. They help keep your garden in check and prevent weeds from taking over. The fabric features perforated holes that allow water to seep through into the soil beneath to keep it from drying out. Some brands even offer UV protection, which helps preserve the lifespan of the fabric.
Using a landscaping barrier means you should not need to use herbicides for weed control on your garden. The fabric prevents weeds buried in the soil beneath from sprouting, acting as a shield while still nourishing the soil beneath. Just remember to remove any existing weeds before laying down the landscape barrier.
Expert Tips on Landscape Fabrics
When choosing a landscape barrier, it's important to invest in quality products. Cheaper fabrics tend to tear easily and may not even last a full season. Below are a few factors to consider when purchasing landscape fabric.
- Product weight and thickness: A heavier, thicker fabric is less likely to rip.
- Airflow: Breathable fabrics allow air to penetrate and water to soak into the soil beneath and replenish nutrients.
- Roll size: Fabrics come in rolls of different sizes to cover lawns of various dimensions. Consider the size of your project to determine how much material you'll need and which product may be the most convenient and economic solution.
- UV protection: Fabric with UV protection generally lasts longer in areas getting direct sun exposure.
- Location: Look for fabrics you can use for hardscape areas, such as sidewalks, under patios and decks as well as areas with vegetation, like gardens.
Garden Staples and More
You'll need garden and landscape staples to help secure your material into place. Packs of staples come in various sizes and quantities to suit your project. After you lay your fabric, line your yard or garden with lawn edging and cover the surface with mulch for a clean, finished look that complements your landscape and plant life.
At Ace Hardware, we aim to keep your yard and garden free of weeds and unwanted pests. Choose from our various weed control fabrics like Weed Block from Easy Gardener and other top brands. Shop by your price range to stay on budget or narrow down your choices by material. Choose from fabric, polyethylene, PLA and coco fiber for cloths or steel for staples.
Still have questions? Visit your local Ace store and discuss your landscaping needs with one of our expert gardening staff to find the products that are right for you.