Illuminate any workspace with the collection of shop lights at Ace Hardware. Get reliable lighting to complete a variety of tasks with our array of portable garage lights, hanging shop lights, LED garage lights and other options. No matter the size or layout of your space, learn how to use garage light fixtures to improve visibility with the following information.
How to Design a Well-Lit Space with Garage Lights
Whether you use your shop as a storage hub or work area, you'll need an adequate amount of lighting to complete every task with greater ease. Indoor and outdoor garage lights brighten up what would otherwise be a dim and dull interior, allowing you to work safely and more efficiently. To maximize the lighting in your space with workshop lights, follow our simple garage lighting tips and tricks.
Add Layered Light to Your Workshop
A workshop with an ideal lighting scheme should incorporate the three main types of artificial lighting: task, accent and ambient lighting. To ensure you have enough lighting to accomplish every task at hand, consider adding overhead lighting such as ceiling-mounted LED workshop lights designed to illuminate broader spaces. Then, light up smaller areas with hanging garage lights that offer optimum task lighting. Finally, for projects that require you to frequently move around from one area of your garage to another, shop our collection of top-performing portable lights.
Understand the Different Bulb Types Available
Every garage or workshop has specific lighting needs. Understanding how different shop light bulbs perform can help you make the right decision for your space. Here are some of the most common bulbs featured in garage lights:
- LED: Light-emitting diode bulbs are typically more energy-efficient, longer-lasting and more durable than other types of bulbs. LED garage ceiling lights often consume 90-percent less power than incandescent bulbs.
- Fluorescent: A versatile type of lighting, fluorescent tubes featured in many types of garage light fixtures are more energy-efficient than halogen and incandescent bulbs and often cheaper than LEDs. This type of lighting is commonly used in commercial spaces.
- Incandescent: Garage lights with incandescent bulbs are designed with wire filaments that heat to a high temperature to emit light. Incandescent bulbs produce more heat and are less energy efficient than other bulbs.
Assess Where You Need to Install Workshop Lights
To establish a good workflow, think about the size and layout of your space. Key areas to consider integrating overhead or hanging shop lights include:
- Wall spaces where you hang power tools and other garage essentials.
- Your workbench area where you normally complete DIY projects.
- Storage areas where you keep seasonal items or other household necessities.
If you decide that multiple fluorescent or LED garage lights are necessary based on your layout and how frequently you use your space, make sure your shop lights are installed at equal distances from each other for the best results. Then, add portable standing lights and hanging shop lights to brighten less frequently used areas as needed.
Browse for Fluorescent, Incandescent and LED Garage Ceiling Lights
Get the most out of your garage, shop or workspace by exploring the variety of garage light fixtures at Ace Hardware.
Have questions about which workshop lights might best suit your space? Head to your neighborhood Ace and our helpful associates can help you find the right lighting solutions for your needs.