In 1903 Slack Brothers Hardware was opened in Bad Axe, Michigan. The original store was located near where the elevator now stands on East Huron Avenue. The store sold a variety of items including farming implements, plows, windmills, and baby chicks in addition to basic hardware. In the early fifties, the Baker family bought the store, then in 1956 moved from downtown to a new building in the Northgate Shopping Center and associated with the Ace Hardware buying group. The Baker family sold to the Buss family in 1969, who have owned and operated it since that time.