About Drain Auger
Taking care of any clogs around your home can be easy, as long as you have the proper equipment. Ace Hardware offers a variety of plumbing snakes and drain cleaners to ensure you can quickly unclog any drain right when you notice a problem. For serious sewage blockages, we even offer heavy-duty, professional plumbing snakes to unclog cleanouts, stacks and even main drains quickly and efficiently. Shop Ace now to take care of all your plumbing issues at an affordable price.
Buying the Right Plumbing Snake
Shopping for a plumber's snake should be easy, but with so many products on the market, it can be hard for some homeowners to know what to choose.
Use these tips to find the right drain cleaner for your home and particular problem:
- For minor clogs in small drains: Shop drain and sewer cleanout augers that can accommodate small and medium-sized household drains. These augers are ideal for areas in the bathroom and kitchen garbage disposals.
- For tough clogs in small drains: Shop power drum augers that connect to your drill for fast, efficient clearing of clogs and stoppages. Consider using a shorter cable length for sinks, showers and bathtub drains.
- For serious clogs: Shop heavy-duty steel sewer rods for bigger issues. We offer drain cleaners up to 100 feet to handle even the most difficult stoppages. Consider buying a manual steel sewer rod for toilet fixtures and long pipes.
Using Your Drain Cleaner
Along with following the manufacturer's instructions when using your new drain cleaner, take a look at these basic tips to help you clear a clog on your own:
- Always wear protective gloves when using a drain auger, even when you need to unclog a sink.
- Insert your plumber's snake into the affected drain until you feel the clog. Then, push and turn the steel rod or drum auger handle until you feel the resistance release. The plumber's snake or auger should feed freely into the drain once the blockage is cleared.
- Run water into the drain or flush the toilet several times to make sure the clog is cleared. Repeat the process if the drain is slow or the toilet backs up again.
Helpful Hint: Clean your drain snake outside with water and a wire brush. You can then lay your drain snake out on newspaper to completely dry before you put it away. Doing this will ensure a long-life for your plumber's snake and a tool that's clean the next time you need to use it.
Whether you've got a major clog or a slow drain, calling the plumber isn't always the answer. Shop Ace to find drainer augers, plumber's snakes, plungers and other equipment to tackle stubborn clogs as soon as they happen.