Save money while adding a personalized touch to your home by shopping the variety of DIY light fixture options at Ace Hardware. Find everything you need to create custom light fixtures that illuminate your home without going over budget. Learn how to make your own pendant light with the following information from the helpful team at Ace.
Add Unique Style with DIY Light Fixtures
Stylish lighting is a key decorative element in any space. The right lighting fixture creates an attractive focal point, grounds the room’s design scheme and establishes a cohesive feel for the space. Rather than spending money on pre-made pendant lights, design a cozy, relaxing and well-lit space with a DIY hanging light fixture.
Materials and Tools Needed for Custom-Made Light Fixtures
Making one-of-a-kind DIY pendant lights to proudly display throughout your home might not be as difficult as you think. With the right tools and materials, you can make custom ceiling lights with just a few easy steps. Before you start your DIY hanging lamp project, here are a few supplies you may need to gather:
- A DIY pendant light kit (you can also purchase individual pieces)
- Power drill
- Swag hook
- Chain or light cord
- Pendant socket
- Pendant canopy
- Repurposed materials of your choice
Keep in mind that the exact tools or materials you'll need will vary based on the type of DIY light fixture you plan on making. This is especially true for any repurposed materials you choose as the design element for your pendant lighting.
How to Make Your Own Pendant Light
Pendant lights are one of the most versatile lighting options available. Since they're hung from the ceiling, you can install them anywhere in a room. Best of all, DIY light fixtures can feature any materials you want to showcase. From upside-down wastebaskets and tree branches to tin cans and spray-painted cardboard cutouts, the possibilities are endless when it comes to choosing the pendant light materials that best suit your preferences.
Design aesthetics aside, most basic DIY pendant lights are made up of these four components:
- A cord
- A plug
- A socket
- A light bulb
To make your own custom light fixture, follow these simple steps :
- Locate the metal prongs at the end of your lamp cord.
- Thread the metal prongs through the top cap piece of the DIY pendant light kit. It doesn't matter which way the prongs are inserted.
- Thread the lamp cord into the top of the pendant light.
- Thread the lamp cord through the lamp base.
- Slightly bend the wires at the base of the lamp cord.
- Using a screwdriver, attach the wires. Loosen the screws on the lamp base and cup the wire underneath. Then, tighten the screws to hold the wires securely. If the light doesn't work, switch the position of the wires.
- Locate the black switch inside the lamp base and slide it up to hold the light bulb in place.
- Attach the lamp base to the pendant canopy and use a drill to install the fixture and pendant canopy into the ceiling.
Where to Buy DIY Pendant Light Kits and Accessories
Get everything you need for your DIY hanging lamp project at Ace Hardware. Shop for DIY hanging light fixture parts now, then explore our array of LED decorative bulbs to complete your project.
Need advice about how to make your own pendant light? Head to your neighborhood Ace, and one of our knowledgeable associates will gladly assist you.