The original Askew's Hardware store was opened in the spring of 1942 at 1101 Pollock Street in New Bern, NC. Milton H. Askew, Sr. opened the store when he purchased a property that housed a general merchandise store. He operated it as a hardware store until 1952 when his son, Milton H. (Chick) Askew, Jr. joined the firm and expanded to include building supplies. In 1959 the old structure was demolished and a new two story brick building was erected. Askew's also expanded to a new location in Jacksonville, NC in 1960. Like the New Bern area, Askew's continued to grow and it became apparent they would need expanded facilities. In January 1972, a new location on Hwy. 17 S. in New Bern was acquired and a new, 100,000 square foot facility was opened in 1973. Milton H. (Rick) Askew, III came on board in 1973 and would eventually take over operations in New Bern. Hart Askew owns and operates the new store in New Bern. Askew's is proud to have served it's neighbors since 1942.
Changing lives through Children's Miracle Network.